SC and USM Launch Varsity Hackathon for Students to Nurture Islamic Fintech Talent

by February 28, 2024

The Securities Commission Malaysia (SC), in partnership with the Computer Science Student Society of Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), announced the launch of the Varsity Hackathon (VHACK) set to take place from 27 February to 20 April 2024. This initiative aims to bolster the fintech talent pool with a focus on the Islamic fintech sector.

The VHACK programme, part of the SC’s FIKRA Excel initiative under FIKRA ACE, is designed to nurture talent and spur innovation in the Islamic capital market and fintech industry by leveraging collaborations with higher learning institutions.

The hackathon encourages the participation of students and young professionals to enhance their digital skills, creativity, and critical thinking in the Islamic fintech space.

Participants comprising teams of one to four members will be engaged in a series of virtual workshops and a final pitch competition, offering a total cash prize of RM37,500.

The event will be conducted in a hybrid format, culminating in a final pitch day at USM on April 20, where teams will present their projects to a panel of judges.

Local and international undergraduates can apply for the 2024 edition of the hackathon until 17 March 2024 here.

Further information on the FIKRA ACE – Excel and VHACK can be found here.

Featured image credit: Edited from Freepik